Travel Insurance is the topic we all like to ignore–until it is needed, that is.
Why should you consider insuring your vacation? The answers are as varied as the people booking the tours, and the unpredictable natural events that shape the world and the regions we visit. While most vacations happen without a hitch, consider some of the problems travelers have faced this past year – airlines going on strike, unforeseen personal health issues and mass airport closures due to natural events. We have seen it all, and travel insurance is what helped protect each of them so they did not lose their vacation investment.
We strongly encourage you to consider the “Cancel for any reason” insurance as many natural disasters are not covered in the basic trip cancellation policies.
Here is what we suggest:
- If you are interested in purchasing Travel Insurance, here is the website for the insurance company we recommend (for US citizens ONLY): http://www.squaremouth.com/21872
- If you need a “pre-existing medical condition waiver” or would like to purchase “Cancel for any Reason” insurance, make sure to check the boxes next those items when viewing the list of available policies on SquareMouth’s website. To qualify for these benefits you must purchase the policy within 14 days of making your reservation with Nichols.
- The policy we personally recommend is offered by TINLEG
- If you already have Travel Insurance, please review it and make sure you are protected against Trip Interruption, Trip Cancellation and Trip Delay. You might also consider adding insurance to cover all of your travel costs such as: flights, trains and additional hotel nights not included in the trip.
- An alternative is to check with your own travel agent or any other insurance resources you have dealt with in the past.
For Canadian citizens, this travel insurance company has been recommended to us: http://www.travelguard.ca/home_2011_327028.html .
***IMPORTANT*** For travel insurance purposes, please be aware that if you are ill or injured and file a claim, your doctor’s note MUST come from a local doctor in the country where you are traveling. It can not be written by a friend or traveling companion who is a doctor.
Please remember, travel insurance cannot be purchased after the fact. You cannot wait until your flight is cancelled or there is a debilitating health issue, and then purchase Travel Insurance to protect your flight and vacation.
The information below applies only to the company we recommend: TinLeg via SquareMouth.